Happy new year!!! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I am always trying to fit more vegetables into my diet. And having the makings of a flavorful, healthy salad on hand is one of the simplest ways to do this. For me, a great salad starts with a straightforward dressing. Here is the easiest orange vinaigrette that I turn to time and again.
I like to make a big batch of this vinaigrette and use it over a few days on a simple, crisp arugula salad. The zest, combined with the aromatics adds flavor to every bite. It can also be used as a yummy marinade for meat, fish, or vegetables. Keep this around for a quick-veggie fix any time you feel the need for green. Here’s to a lighter, brighter new year!
- ¼ cup orange juice (from about 1 orange)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 shallot, finely grated (I use a microplane to grate it extra finely)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 sprigs of thyme leaves
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- Combine the orange juice, orange zest, grated shallot, thyme, and red wine vinegar in a bowl.
- Slowly whisk* the olive oil into the mixture, making sure to continuously keep mixing in order to emulsify.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve over your favorite greens or lettuce, I personally love arugula. Garnish with flaky salt.
*Alternatively, if you don’t have a whisk, you can add all ingredients to a mason jar and shake until the mixture is completely emulsified.