Reminder: Labor day may have come and gone, but it is still summer until the Autumnal Equinox on September 22! Thus, tomato season continues on. Once tomato season arrives, tomatoes seem to appear in nearly every meal or snack I eat. Cucumber peach and yellow tomato salad is a bright, colorful summer salad, so light and fresh you could eat it all day long. It’s kind of like a riff on a classic caprese salad with some extra sweetness and crunch.
Two varieties of cucumbers bring the crunch and the juicy yellow tomatoes and summer peaches bring the light sweetness. A touch of fish sauce enhances the unique umami of the tomatoes and adds a salty touch. Polished off with bits of shaved Parmesan and mozzarella, this cucumber peach and yellow tomato salad is a medley of some of my favorite summer produce.
- 1 ½ tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large cucumber, sliced diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Persian cucumbers
- 2 medium-large yellow tomatoes, halved and sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 large peach, halved and sliced
- ½ cup basil leaves, loosely packed
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon flaky salt, like maldon
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the fish sauce and olive oil. Set aside.
Choose a large plate or platter and scatter the cucumbers, tomatoes, peach, basil, and mozzarella in layers. Drizzle the fish sauce and olive oil mixture on top. Sprinkle shaved parmesan and flaky salt on top. Allow to sit for 1 hour before serving so that the flavors marinate.